soundboard?

Fri, 21 Apr 2000 08:46:01 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Patricia Neely <pneely@thegrid.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: April 20, 2000 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: soundboard?

> Dan I guess I'm not explanning it properly the piano is on a dolly back
side
> down  so looking at it you would see the strings the plate the sound board
> ,using a piece of heavy string they run  it under the piano wire & plate
> holding the string like you would IF you were measuring under a grand  but
> inside of an upright,. there was a small gap(I call it a sag between the
> string and the sooundboard), the Person doing this called it reverse crown
> and said it was intentionally built this way . This sounded strange to me
,
> I'm an associate so I wanted to get feed back from the List. Thank to all
> hope I have made myself clear   Pat

-----------------------

What are the qualifications of the Person doing this?  Is he/she someone who
would know if this piano were built with reverse crown, or simply repeating
something?  Or making something up?

It is possible to build piano soundboards with reverse crown, though I
wasn't aware I&P ever did so.

It is much more likely that the piano was strung with a whole lot of string
bearing and age has done its thing.  This also happens when old boards get
new strings and the rebuilder resets the plate for 'proper' downbearing on
the old board.

It is also possible that the soundboard was not dry enough when it was
ribbed and never did crown.  (I'm assuming the I&P board was
compression-crowned.)

Del