Wurlitzer

Pianotoone@AOL.COM Pianotoone@AOL.COM
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:19:41 EDT

In a message dated 4/21/2000 4:05:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lesbart1@juno.com writes:

<< I did a warranty tuning on a new Kawai today, after which, the owner
 asked me if I'd look an an "electric Wurlitzer butterfly piano."
 Pretty little thing!  With electric "off", it sounds like whatever hammer
 mechanism there is hits metal bars rather than strings.  I couldn't get
 the top off easily to check, though I think it should slide forward.  It
 was on very solidly, as if it were screwed in somehow.

 Does anyone know anything of these?
 Are they tuneable?
 Can the "hammers" be replaced or redone?
 Thanks
 les bartlett
 houston >>
I once owned one of these animals.  The tone is produces by a metal reed
struck by a hammer.  On the end of the reed is a blob of solder.  To tune,
you apply new solder or file off some of the old.  Pretty sophisticated huh?
I once did a little tuning on mine.  (I broke a reed and had to replace it)
I inadvertently left a little spec of solder between the reed and its holder.
 What a racket when I hit that note.  Easily fixable but be meticulously (sp)
clean when you do this  Good luck.

Dick Day
Marshall MI