soundboard?

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:44:58 -0400

Hi Pat,

Forgive me if this starts to resemble a rant, or something similar...but...

What on earth would one need springs on a backpost to support soundboard
crown / downbearing for on a REBUILT piano?  If it does need such springs,
it doesn't speak well for any "rebuilding" job!

This is one reason that I am becoming accustomed to avoiding the
"Rebuilding" word.  It has come to mean just about as little as a person can
get away with it meaning.  I've heard of people slapping on a new set of
keytops, filing the hammers, and sticking on a couple of bridal straps and
calling it "Rebuilt".  This really steams me, to think that someone would
pass that off as being rebuilt, but evidently, it was and still is being
done.

If the soundboard is really intended to have a reverse crown, that's one
thing.  But the piano you're describing, is more likely a tired old board
that was loaded up too heavily to begin with, perhaps poorly designed and
built, and finally, after years of struggle, maybe even abuse,  gave up.

If it's time for a new board, it's time to put one in.  If there's no money,
and no support for such, a 'death certificate' would certainly be in order.

Forgive my terminology, but half-assed work is a disgrace and a discredit to
us all.  From my own perspective, and in my own opinion, it's better to do
it right, or not at all.  The thought of 'soundboard support springs' in a
'rebuilt piano' just screams at me!  I've been in the customers home too
many times hearing "we just spent $6,000 to have our piano totally
rebuilt..." only to open it up and find that it's the same old piano that
they had before the "rebuild" with a few window dressings.  There's a moment
of rage that comes over me when that happens.

I'm getting a little carried away.  There's a lot of personal stuff going on
here right now, and I'm trying to remain calm.  If you believe in God,
please offer up a prayer for me.  I really, really need it right now.  I
really appreciate it.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net

P.S.  Sorry Pat, I wasn't meaning to unload on you.  It just all came
pouring out.  It happens sometimes when life takes a turn...and it took
one...

From: "Patricia Neely" <pneely@thegrid.net>
<snip> ...SPRINGs on the back post <snip>  A friend of mine will probably
NEED this after the piano is finished