Wurlitzer

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 21:07:41 -0700

These things used to be very common in university class piano labs before the
digital age.  They are really quite simple.  All of the ones I have seen are
opened by removing the two screws on the top that hold the music rack.  the
same screws hold the lid down.  Inside there is a miniature wood action with
tiny hammers that strike little tone bar/reed like thingys.  There are some
mic pickups and a small amplifier in front.  Not much to it.  The major
problem with these today is that the tongues of the reed bars fatigue from
use and break off.  Naturally there are no replacements for these so they
have to be salvaged from other junked instruments.  I've got a mostly
complete set of them from an old trashed wurly somewhere packed away.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV