soundboard?

Fri, 21 Apr 2000 22:33:53 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Patricia Neely <pneely@thegrid.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: April 21, 2000 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: soundboard?

> Hi   I'm a associate and look to alot of others for learning I guess
rebuilt
> is not the correct word, alot of work is being done.  But when I heard the
> word reverse crown I wanted to know more about it , When its all done than
> guess the proof will be in the pudding.  If it is indeed a reverse crown
it
> will be fine?  if not that someone will have to correct it.  Remember we
> learn from others, the list is a great way to make sure that what we learn
> is scrutinized.  No offense taken, we all live and learn. Thanks to all
for
> the responces  to SB  .  Patricia Neely  Yes, I do believe in Him

The concept of reverse crown in piano soundboards is poorly understood.  If
for no other reason than its rarity.  Very few builders have purposely used
soundboards set up this way.  A few more have done so inadvertently.

In this case, it is probably safe to assume that the board started out
crowned in the normal direction and that, for whatever reason, it has now
developed a reverse crown.  What this piano will sound like in this
condition is anybody's guess.  If the strings still have positive deflection
then there will be some downforce on the soundboard assembly, but it will
not be what the builder intended.  I would guess that sustain will be a
problem at least through some sections of the scale.  Probably the tone will
be somewhat percussive.

Is there any fix?  No.  At least not without replacing the soundboard.
There are no repair procedures that will restore crown to an old soundboard.
Well, with one exception -- some European rebuilders are removing the
original soundboards and replacing the original ribs with new crowned ribs.
I've not done this myself but I have no problem with the procedure.  The
crown is now supported by the ribs which is the way it should have been in
the first place.  Does seem like a lot of work, however, just to save the
original panel.

Only the piano owner can determine if the piano is worth this kind of
expenditure.

There is one other patch that might be successful.  Check the archives for
the discussion on soundboard springs.  Most of what I know about the
practice is in there somewhere.  I didn't save it, so good luck.  I do know
the technique is somewhat helpful in some cases and it is easily reversible.

Del