An observation - a prediction - somewhat off-topic

Todd L. Mapes foxmeadow@freewwweb.com
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 06:04:14 -0500

Phil Bondi wrote:

> Is it wrong for me to say that almost all of us entered this field from another?
> >From my vantage point, this profession is something that some people 'fall' into,
> or realize after years of inability to get happy in another field(guily,musician)
> that we find this field to be quite the opposite from the field where we were.

Rook,

As for my own personal situation, you are correct.  I was a CPA for nearly 10 years
(32 years old now) before I realized that I could choose piano technology as a
career.  I made it through 2-1/2 years of a music education degree before I decided
that I didn't really want to teach large groups of unruly kids.  At that point I also
knew that becoming a professional musician did not have a bright outlook, except for a
very small percentage of very talented people.  Having grown up in a very small town
(about 5,000 pop.) out in the middle of nowhere near the Oklahoma panhandle, I wasn't
even aware that one could become a piano technician and make a living at it.
Naturally, a musician type personality quickly becomes bored staring at accounting
records and tax returns day in and day out.  So, after some investigation, and the
good direction of a PTG member, I took the Randy Potter course and joined PTG.  One
advantage? - I can do my own books and file my own tax return!

Todd L. Mapes
Former CPA, Future RPT
Fort Smith, AR