Soundboards

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 03:34:37 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Robinson <tomnjan@bellsouth.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 4:13 PM
Subject: RE: Soundboards

> The arched top gives the guitar more volume and projection,
> when compared to a "flat top".  So, is it possible that a piano
> soundboard with a carved crown might sound better than an otherwise
> equal piano with a molded or atmospheric crowned soundboard?  Has anyone
> ever tried it?
>
> Tom Robinson

At the turn of the century piano quality soundboards were 1/4 thick at one
end and 3/8" at the other.  They were planed to get these specs. I don't
know if you can call that "carved"  or not.  In addition they were arched as
in bent.  Now for a test question, where was the 3/8 inch, A: Treble  B:
Bass  C: Middle D: Rim.
If you need a "life line" to eliminate two, the remaining would be A:Treble,
B:Bass.
Now who you gonna call?
---Tric