FRONT RAIL KEYPIN SHAPE

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 15:41:34 +0100

In article <4.3.1.2.20000417204635.00a83d80@pop.ne.mediaone.net>, Jon
Page <jonpage@mediaone.net> writes
>I don't think I've ever read why front rail key pins are oval.  It would
>>seem that their shape could lend itself to some sort of adjustment.  If
>>not, why aren't they simply round?  What physics principles were
>>considered in their design?  Inquiring people want to know........
>>
>>Tom Robinson
>>East Tennessee
>

>Barrie found Erard's patent on this,
>Barrie . . .

Sorry I have not been reading. This is what Erard said in his patent
submission of 1840 patent number 8643 plate number "9" he describes
  his patent

extracts....

"at the front end of the key, which improvement, thought simple, will be
found of great importance, because pianoforte keys constructed in the
very unpleasant defect of rattling"

he goes on to describe how the bat pin will work.

"The inside of the mortise though the key is lined with thin cloth, or
other soft substance, and when so lined, the said inside is a little
wider than the least breadth of the oval pin (n,) but rather narrower
than the greatest breadth thereof, in order that the oval pin (n.) by
being turned round a little, may be brought exactly to fill up the width
of the lined mortise .............." I

That is...   in the drawings it just shows end side and plan view of the
pin in the key. The hole patent covers a new type of leg improvements to
upright actions and centre pins.

I have put some of  Erard  patents on his history page bear in mind this
page is for the great unwashed and is not a technical page it only
describes the above in passing.

http://www.uk-piano.org/history/erard.html

Barrie

--
Barrie Heaton               Ý The U.K. Piano Page:
http://www.a440.co.uk       Ý http://www.uk-piano.org/