Tip sizes

Daniel Jackson tunemwell@rcn.com
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 22:51:42 -0500

Ra Byn James Taylor wrote:

> I was rather unhappy to find out that tip numbers aren't standardized.
>

> SO............for those of you out there who use a Hale tuning lever with a
> Hale tip, which tip size do you use?places...........
>
> Sincerely,
>
> ra byn james - 28

	I've always used Hale tips - mostly purchased in the 80's. The #2 seems
to fit most of the pianos that I service - I keep old #2s, #1s, & 3s and
change whenever the fit doesn't feel right - which isn't that often. My
first mentor changed them with great regularity.
	I recently purchased a Hale #2 tip from APSCO and it is larger than my
old #2 Hale. I haven't told them yet. I've never had much luck talking
with them anyway. Whenever I want better service I go to Schaff.
	I wonder about that standardization. The tips wear, the pins wear...
what're ya going do?
	Dan J in Wmbg VA