Embarrassing Moments

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 06:08:33 -0300

Hi,
It has been so long since the get together, was mentioned.
Even although, it is same as before, I forgot what that was.:-(
My most embarrassing moment was, when I was giving a lecture about
pianos, to about 15 music teachers.
I had turned the piano, the back toward them, to show them where to
check for a crack in the soundboard. It was in response to a question.
As I continued on with the next point, I faced the class, and casually,
gave the piano a shove around, with one hand, not even looking toward
it.
I felt it tip, tried to stop the fall, didn't get my foot from under,
and broke my toe in four places. (That was why I was limping, at the
convention, in Dearborn)
I then told them,that was the way, NOT, to move a piano.
The swivel castor, had not swivelled, on the carpeted floor.
They helped me lift it up, and I gave it a free tuning, a few days
later.
I had to stop the lecture, for about 10 minutes, as I felt kind of
nauseous.
Later that afternoon, I had it x-rayed, and the end portion of the big
toe, had four breaks.
It doesn't beat John, or Bill's mishap though.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada