Wurlitzer

Mark Story mstory@ewu.edu
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 12:31:44 -0700

Sorry I'm late on this topic, but I have done a lot of service on these in
the 70s and 80s. Rather that file the solder to sharpen the tine, it's
better shave it. Then, as you discovered, Dick, always, always, always blow
the thing out to remove all traces of solder remnants. Solder remnants can
be flung up by the hammers, or lodge between the pickup and the tine after
moving to produce a very nice explosion sound.

One time, during these years I was asked to tune one of these for a Cheap
Trick concert. Those that don't remember this group, they had the reputation
of being the LOUDEST group on the road, so imagine the potential. After I
finished, I didn't have my vacuum to blow the thing out, so I asked the
local stagehands if they has something to blow it out. No vacuum, but they
fired up a leaf blower and I have always regretted not having a photo of
that.

On the solder, just find the stuff with the highest lead component, since it
will melt at a lower temperature and you are not concerned about durability.
The idea of beeswax sounds bizarre to me.

Mark Story, RPT
Eastern Washington University
Cheney, Washington