List archives & the never ending repeating...

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 13:39:53 -0500

Brian,

<<I'd like to try to make life a little better. Any thoughts that might be
of
help?

Brian Trout>>

I make a motion to put you in charge of this project! :-)

This is a good idea, but one that would take a lot of hours to accomplish.
Probably none of us can afford the time off from our duties to work on a
project of this magnitude. One would have to read through tons of email,
which would take tons of time.

If someone else did the work for us, then I figure it would take maybe a
month to sort thru 5+ years of posts. It would probably be more than that,
especially if they were categorized. Figure $4000 for a month's worth of
work, and 300 subscribers would have to chip in $13.33 each. If it is really
worth that to us, let's hire someone to manipulate that data!

What would really help is observing the suggestions that have been posted in
the past few days, such as cutting non-essential material in replies, etc. I
think also that one-sentence responses which are not germane should be
eliminated, in addition to all personal messages via the list. This would
cut down on the search time if we exercised a little discipline in this
regard. Remember the old saying, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of
cure." We are nearing the pound of cure stage now.

Stepping down from ye old pedestal now....

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS