enlarging existing bridge pin holes

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 17:50:40 EST

>>The existing pins measure .080, .090, .104.  Thus I will have to
enlarge each hole just slightly to accomodate the current size of  #7, #8,
and #9 bridge pins.  Any recommendations on the tool to use for this job,
i.e., dremel, hand drill, by hand, by anyone who has actually done this?  I
am concerned with grabbing and chipping the wood around the pins.>

Greetings,
   All wood isn't the same, but if you a few holes drilled undersize by
.002", you should be in the ball park.  You don't want to have to really
pound to get them down, but they must be snug on a low humidity bridge.
   I found that a battery powered drill, lightweight and slow rpm, did the
best job of drilling the holes.  Start on the back of the bridge to get your
chops up on non critical work.  Then do the fronts, making sure you have a
short length or two of pipe cleaner or something to index the angle as you
go.  Do as many at a time as you can, since consistancy comes with
repetition. Mark your depth carefully or you will be trying to find the best
way of retrieving a disappearing pin from under the bridge surface!
Good luck, don't forget to chisel new lips on the termination.
Ed Foote RPT
Nashville.