Variable overpull percentage (was: Finishing where you started)

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Sun, 03 Dec 2000 07:34:35 -0800

The overpull on the RCT is set according to a curve for every note on
the scale, from as little as 12% in most of the bass to as much as 38%
in some parts of the treble, with a major transition between the wound
and plain strings.  Furthermore, RCT computes a trailing average of six
notes, which is calculated into the overpull percentage for each note,
so that anomalies do not skew the figure.  The percentages can also be
tweaked for the technician's individual tuning style.

The result is that pitch raises of up to 20 cents rarely require more
than touchup, and up to ten cents not even that.  If there is a risk of
string breakage, I often use the fine tune mode to get it close to pitch
without overpull, then use the pitch raise mode as a final tuning.

Paul S. Larudee