Wegman upright

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 08 Dec 2000 10:39:27 -0600

I seem to have finally dumped the last of my old tattered Schaff catalogs,
and the new one doesn't list them, but I think it was Schaff that used to
sell a Wegman type "repair" somethingorother for that odd loose pin
replacement. It involved drilling something like a 1/2" hole where the old
pin was, and driving this replacement in. They have apparently been
discontinued, or I'm just not seeing them in the current catalogs. I do,
unfortunately still see some of the past classic ancient curses still
lingering on. I've never tuned a Wegman, but the idea always intrigued me.
I often wonder about why stuff like this fell aside in the relentless
progress of piano evolution (the original, not the retrofit). Possibly
insufficient marketing or too high an average employee alcohol intake
during lunch.  <G>

Wish I'd ordered a couple of those supply house retrofits to archive and
ponder over though. I did get a few of the beloved Cornwall & Patterson
tuning pin locks before they became unavailable. Mine are permanently
archived in a drawer in the shop, but I've actually seen some installed in
pianos. No, they didn't exactly work, but I thought they were kind of
ingenious in a baling wire and safety pin sort of way.

Anyone happen to have a couple of the old Wegman retrofits lying around
that they'd care to part with?

Ron N