what is the best temperament?

Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:11:51 +0100

Cant let this one go without putting my two cents in. I have to side with Maria
on this one. And I am a largely a self taught tech. You can only get so good on
your own, and it is a rare individual indeed that gets to be really really good.
This really applies to just about  any form of work or knowledge area.

Now I got pretty darn good on my own.... good enough to satisfy some of the best
pianists around, but when it came to the real test.... satisfying a panel of
tuners who knew what they were listening for, I wasnt good enough. I had to go
back to the school bench, a bench I woulda been better off sitting at in the
first place before I started really getting the hang of things.

Correspondance courses, vidoes, and the like at their best are "second bests..."
necessary because the nature of our buisness and life in general has forced us
to resort to these methods.  But nothing can compare to sitting down one to one
with a master who is good at communicating and teaching. In Finland, as in the
rest of Scandinavia, this option is not nearly so remote as it may be in some
parts of the world.

I personally get a bit upset at the kind of oversimplyfication... even
devaluation I hear from so many, even other techs, about what we do and how much
we should learn.  Ours is a profession, like any other, and we should demand of
ourselfs the same degree of and certainy of "knowhow" that is required of other
professional trades. There are schools nearby for this fellow and it would be
big shame if he didnt take advantage of them because somebody told him he could
learn this "stuff" out of a book.

My take.

Tony Caught wrote:

> Hi Maria
>
> Am not leaving your story in, nor have I followed this thread but
> fortunately or unfortunately which ever way you may see it I object to a
> "professional person" tuner or not, saying "There is NO way to just read a
> little here and there or some sort of book on  how to tune cos it is simply
> more  complicated than that." That is pure bull,,,,.
>
> Then you rave on about "The  intervals differ from octave to octave  and you
> also have to be aware how  you check on your tuning after every  interval."
> Maybe your English is not the best but I do not understand how intervals
> differ from octave to octave.

Think about it Tony... there is nothing nonsensable in her words here.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.