ETD's, calculators and the exam

Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:52:19 +0100

"Kevin E. Ramsey RPT" wrote:

> Richard,, The way the current test is set up here, is that you must be able
> to tune, ( granted, it's only three octaves.) aurally the center section of
> the piano. I think it's from B2 to C5. Then you're graded using fairly tight
> standards as to A440, stability, etc. For all practical purposes, if you
> aren't a pretty good aural tuner,,you aren't going to pass. Doesn't involve
> using the machine at all.

I know.. I just took it this summer. Actually felt it could have been a good
deal tougher, but at least it confirmed you had the basic idea of and skills
needed to do an aural tuning. The present discussion is about a proposal to
allow the use of the machine to do the whole test. This of course would reduce
the value of the present test quite a bit.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.