the final result

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 20:54:58

Hi all-

Happy holidays, has everyone else been putting in their share of overtime?

Sorry I didn't have a chance to jump in sooner on this one.

I'll have to join Keith on this one.  I think that on Richard's side of the
big pond, EDT's are not used or accepted to the same degree as 'over here'.
That being said, I think if the machines are not there yet, they will very
soon be to the point of being as accurate and consistant as the best tuners
out there.  I know many people will vigorously disagree with this idea, but
I also remember a long strike by the typesetters against the Chicago Tribune
while I was in school.  They don't need them anymore.....

Technology changes many things, I think someone with good people skills, the
ability to tune unisons, and hear whether the octave sounds "good" or not,
could do a fine job.  Yes, they could even be called a piano tuner, because
they are the one with the patience to 'set' the selected tuning on whatever
instrument that is in front of them.

Tuning ET.....a huge mystery?   Nah, just a job for a good divider!  Now if
you want the piano to sound its best for playing music, let's talk about
selecting other temperaments!

see ya!

Ron Koval
Chicagoland