Last octave/stretching, etc.

Larry lbeach@sfu.ca
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:06:35 -0800

Thanks Dave for providing the aural tests for stretching (C8 tuned with
C6).  Most of the time I see people giving the number of cents
sharp/flat.  My only problem with that is that I can't afford an electronic
device, so I am completely an aural tuner.  As a result, I have little idea
what 45 cents sharp sounds like as a stretch on a particular piano.

I often tune the last octave so that the double octave + 5th is only
slightly narrow.  Then I make sure the single octave isn't beating
wildly.  I have always wondered how many cents sharp I am stretching in
that octave.  It must be reasonable because it worked for my tuning exam.

Larry Beach, RPT
Vancouver, BC
Canada