The tuner controversy

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:32:13 -0700 (MST)

Hi to all:

I had thought that we had put an end to the controversy about whether or
not a piano can be tuned with an ETD. Granted, both contestants in
the Chicago Tune-off were qualified and experienced tuners, yet one piano
was tuned strictly with the electronic tuning devices (RCT and SAT) and
the other piano was tuned strictly by ear (OK, he used hands too).
Before this contest, I had predicted that there wouldn't be a "dime's
worth of difference" between the results. This proved to be true. The
scoring was approx. 52% to 48% as scored by a roomfull of piano
technicians and musicians. Two tests were conducted as the pianos were
switched on the second heat in the contest. This ruled out any
superiority of one piano over the other as far as power or quality is
concerned. This was the most fair test I can imagine to show which
method of tuning is superior. The audience did not know which piano was
tuned by which contestant during the first test. This ruled out any
personality favoritism. The voting results were about the same in both
tests.

As we said above, this contest was between two well experienced concert
tuners. If the test had been between a novice aural tuner and a novice
ETD tuner, the results would have been decidedly in favor of the ETD user.
This was proven in an L.A. chapter meeting many years ago when a
nontuner woman was given minimum instruction with a Yamaha PT3 and her
result was compared with a moderately experienced aural tuner. The
audience had difficulty showing a preference. Just think how much
difference would have been shown if the aural tuner were also a novice.

In trying to define what is a tuner, we obviously have some preconceived
ideas about this. To some, unless he/she is a concert tuner, in their
estimation he/she is not a tuner unless concert quality is achieved. I
just had a call from a lady in the Chicago area who had answered an ad
in the paper which said "piano tuning - $35 (includes cleaning)". When he
finished, the bill was $60 and the piano sounded worse than before he came.
Now, I would not call this one "a Tuner", and I'm sure he is not a
member of the Chicago chapter of PTG. First, he was a "bait and switch
artist", he intimidated the customer, and he didn't know what he was
doing as far as piano tuning is concerned. Those of you who live in
Chicago probably know who this is. Those who use a ridiculously low
price to get their foot in the door are not in my opinion legitimate
piano tuners. And then the bait and switch adds insult to the injury.

Jim Coleman, Sr.
4 W. Del Rio Dr.
Tempe, AZ 85282

PS I still have free copies of the Baldassin-Sanderson-Kimbell-Tremper
temperament procedures. This 3 page procedure is also free with the new
"Passing the PTG Tuning Test" video tape. This tape was designed to
encourage Associates members to take their tuning test. This is especially
helpful to owners of the SAT III but could be useful to owners of some
other ETD's. Ask about the video tape and its offer. Send stamped self
addressed envelope for the free notes.