the final result

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 02:07:51 +0100

Ron Koval wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> Happy holidays, has everyone else been putting in their share of overtime?
>
> Sorry I didn't have a chance to jump in sooner on this one.
>
> I'll have to join Keith on this one.  I think that on Richard's side of the
> big pond, EDT's are not used or accepted to the same degree as 'over here'.
> That being said, I think if the machines are not there yet, they will very
> soon be to the point of being as accurate and consistant as the best tuners
> out there.  I know many people will vigorously disagree with this idea, but
> I also remember a long strike by the typesetters against the Chicago Tribune
> while I was in school.  They don't need them anymore.....

exactly... they dont need them anymore. And they surely dont use them either.
Further the job that is being done that replaces them is not the same job
anymore. These new "workers" are not typesetters at all.

> Technology changes many things, I think someone with good people skills, the
> ability to tune unisons, and hear whether the octave sounds "good" or not,
> could do a fine job.  Yes, they could even be called a piano tuner, because
> they are the one with the patience to 'set' the selected tuning on whatever
> instrument that is in front of them.

Thats pushing the lower limit of what I can aggree on.. and pushing it really
hard. Even so what you have said here is fundementally different then Keiths
statement.

> Tuning ET.....a huge mystery?   Nah, just a job for a good divider!  Now if
> you want the piano to sound its best for playing music, let's talk about
> selecting other temperaments!
>
> see ya!

Ron, I got no problem with people useing ETD's to create acceptable tunings per
se... But I maintain that the use of an ETD with a resulting good tuning does
not mean that the person has any real idea of what he or she is doing. It is
certainly possible to achieve this "End result" with out haveing the foggiest.
Someday there will probably be a machine that does it all... physical part as
well... maybe even a constantly self adjusting thingamajob.... Dumb as a box of
rocks but boy can it tune. You may call that a piano tuner if you like.