What is and what is not a piano tuner .

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 20:39:57 EST

Diane wrote;

<<"I dunno, I'm not so good with words like Professor Ron... maybe he has a
better term that would satisfy everybody.
Diane">>

Diane;
 I have been watching this thread also:-) Although I will leave the renaming
chore to Ron or some other sage I do have a few observations to make.

Does "tuning" with any ETD make one a "piano tuner"?

Does diagnosing problems within a player system and changing a board make one
an 'electronic tech'? I do this frequently and I am certainly no 'electronic
tech'.
Does changing out the hard drive in your computer make you a 'computer tech'?
I have done this and I certainly ain't a 'computer tech'.
Does following prompts on a monitor in the process of reprogramming a system
fault make one a 'programmer'? I have done that and I certainly ain't no
'programmer'.
Does the act of changing air pressure in your tires make one a 'tire tech'? I
have done that and I ain't no 'tire tech'.
Does the act of helping deliver a baby make one a OBGYN or pediatrician? I
have done that and I ain't no doctor!!!!

I suppose that following a verrrrry strict observation of the definition of
"tuner" that one who could "tune", via ETD, without any knowledge a "piano
tuner"............. but that would not make it an accurate representation of
the individuals capacity. More directly to the point the ETD is doing the
work of listening and making the decisions so perhaps that individual would
be a ETD "piano tuner"
but he ain't, according to the less strict, and more common, definition of
"tuner", no tuner, piano or otherwise. He is merely an instrument user of
some sort.  If'n they can't tune without the ETD they ain't no danged tuner.

.................but then I suppose it depends on what the definition of is
is. :-)
My thoughts.
Jim Bryant (FL)