ETD's, calculators and the exam

Sat, 16 Dec 2000 10:49:13 +0100

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

> The purpose of the exam is to see if a tuner can tune a piano to the
> standards the PTG has set forth. How that person arrives at that point is
> entirely up to the inividual. He/she can do it standing on his/her head,
> using a ratchet for all we care, as long as the end result is a tuned piano.
> We do not check hammer technique, or ask what temperament is used. We don't
> even require a particular tuning fork, as long as the fork is tuned within
> the variance of the examiner machine. It is required that the examinee
> aurally tune one note to the fork, and two octaves in the middle of the piano
> (C3- B5) . Those are the only two aural requirements for machine tuners.

So the PTG doesnt give a hoot about anything except the end state of the piano ??
I think not Wim.

> I am sure you will agree that being able to aurally tune two octaves in the
> middle of the piano is not a true sign of being able to tune a whole piano.
> There is a lot more to it than that. And that is why I am not convinced that
> requiring that part of the exam is that crucial.

Exactly there is more to it then that. That is why I am convinced that any
further reduction in the tests ability to affirm aural skills is the wrong way to
go. Its weak enough on that point as it is.

> I'll tell you what. I would much rather have a person tune a piano only using
> a machine, than some of the people I've had to pass who were strictly an
> aural tuner. In fact, some of the Associate members who are out there tuning
> by ear have no business being in the business. Yet they pass themselves off
> as piano tuners.

I have no problem agreeing with this.

> And from what you are saying, you would regard them more as
> piano tuners than those who tune strictly by machine.

Not quite as simple as that, Just because some individual knows more about one
area of tuning then another knows about that same area, doesnt qualify that
person as a journeyman. You draw up two possibilities here really. I will sketch
them really roughly and over simplify ok ?

1. The person who knows all kinds of theory but cant use atunning hammer.
2. The person who knows no theory at all but has developed decent hammer
technique.

Neither of these is more or less of a piano tuner then the other. Neither of them
has finished the development of their skills to the degree neccessary to qualify
at all.

> Willem

Like I said earlier Willem, I am open to ETD use only test in principle... but I
fail to see how the present test could be used in that case.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.