other instruments

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 16:42:55 EST

In a message dated 12/17/00 11:38:52 AM Central Standard Time,
LHSBAND440@AOL.COM writes:

<< What about other instruments.  The following all tune their own
instruments:
 Piccolo, Flute, Oboe, Bassoon, Clarinets, Saxophones, Trumpets, Horns,
 Trombone, Baritones, Tubas, Violins, Violas, Cellos, Bass, Guitars, etc...

 Why don't piano players learn to tune their own damn instruments and end this
 controversy once and for all!

 Sincerely,
 Leo

 P.S.  Tongue in cheek of course >>

Not only learn to tune, but also repair them. I was a French Horn player and
knew how to dismantle and repair my instrument. Most clarinet, flute,
saxophone, etc., players know how to repair loose pads, broken springs. etc.
What is so sad is that most piano player not only do not know how to tune a
piano, they don't even understand or know how a piano works? And here, not
just the mechanics, but also how a piano produces sound. I think Universities
should require a piano majors to take a basic course on how a piano works,
and how to do minor repairs.

Willem