Snappy Baldwin Tuning Pins

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:29:37 -0600

>Happy Holidays from fridgid (it's all relative!) SW Fla.

First off, I can't imagine how anyone could have a happy holiday with
frigid relatives. I suppose it depends on who makes the egg nog. BTW,
what's a nog?

>I THINK I know how to set a tuning pin..this situation in this environment
>is getting the best of me.

I'm sure you do, but these things defy normal technique. Denial is built in
at the factory, and I sure haven't found a cure that doesn't involve
replacing blocks. Meanwhile, I rely heavily on lots of minute jiggling and
torquing back and forth between major SNAPs to try to determine where I
really am at torque/spring/tension equilibrium. If it settles where I want
it, great. If not, I keep adding SNAPs until it either does, or I decide
I'll never get closer if I stay till my next birthday. There just isn't any
fine adjustment between SNAPs that will stay put. Notes creeping sharp mean
that the pin was left torqued back past equilibrium in the first place, and
the bottom of the pin never moved with that final adjustment. It has to
SNAP to final position to be stable. Kind of like flipping a coin and
having it land and stand on edge. Lots of fun. Muttering is good too. It
doesn't improve stability much, but gives the impression of concerted
effort to the casual onlooker.

Ron N