after Christmas PANICK !!!

Joseph Alkana jfa19@IDT.NET
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 14:57:51 -0800

Marcel Carey wrote:

> Hi and best wishes to all on this list. May you find love and happinness
> this coming year.
>

> I was just wondering how many of you on this list got the panick call
> the day after X-mas, you know the one about the glass of red wine spille
> in the brand new Yamaha grand... It make me wonder how stupid people can
> get when they abuse or the red staining liquid... Now the question:
> Should I just go and replace everything that was touched by the wine or
> just clean-up???
>
> Since the piano is brand new and someone's responsability insurance will
> probably cover the costs, I was thinking more of replacement plus
> clean-up. What's your opinion on this one.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Marcel
>
> Marcel Carey, accordeur technicien
> (819) 564-0447
> mcpiano@globetrotter.net <mailto:mcpiano@globetrotter.net>

Marcel,
I've been through this only twice, although not just after Christmas!
One customer elected to wait 6 months before calling a technician. This
customer's piano has been poorly maintained, i.e., no regulation,
hammer filing etc., ... just tune it, thank you. Now strings are
breaking like crazy. Hard to tell if the red wine had any effect in the
process with the scenario I gave, but the stains are sure evident in
that area on the sound board.

The other customer handled it this way: Ms. wine spiller had to cough
up the dough to pay for an immediate clean up plus replacement of all
items affected. That included new hammers(partial set) string
replacement, action disassembly and clean up, necessary hammer fitting,
filing and voicing to match rest of piano plus needed regulation and
the service call to appraise. This customer thought about insurance, but
her homeowner's policy had a sizable deductible, so she insisted the
other lady pay. Not sure if her insurance was involved. At least I got paid.
Joseph Alkana