Hammers

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 00:22:52 +0930

Hi Clyde,

Yes the glue gives away too but I have seen many a hammer that has also
pulled out the T rivet as well. For 16 years I have been living in this
lovely place called Darwin and when you go to a piano in the wet, and if the
piano has not been fitted with a Dampp-chaser de-humidity system, its out
with the hair dryer to free the action (dry the wool out) drop the pitch by
25 cents in the middle section (from the bass break for maybe 15 notes then
the piano is generally close to pitch in the treble and the bass.  Do it
reasonably well but remember you are going to have to raise the pitch back
to A440 in three months so be good but don't try too hard because in an hour
whilst you have the piano open so much moisture get in that is starts
causing more sticky notes while you are sitting there tuning the piano.
(with no fan on because this makes it worse.

Now peoples, please don't tell me that the wood (maple or birch or whatever)
absorbs moisture that fast.

Maybe you guys would like me to make a non stop video of this happening on a
three year old Yamaha piano so that you have documented proof, or you could
take my word for it, or you could ask someone in Florida. They should have
the same problems in July / September.

Regards

Tony Caught ICPTG
Australia