When to do it

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 11:08:20 -0500

>No. It is my experience that Yamahas show LESS instability relative to lost
>motion after humidity changes.
>
>Regards
>
>Tony Caught ICPTG
>Australia
>caute@optusnet.com.au
>

>>  Tony Caught wrote:
>>
>>  > Hi Jim,
>>  >
>>  > And yes wool felt does expand.  In my first post on this subject I
>mentioned
>>  > that there is a high possibility that the backtouch felt used by Yamaha,
>>  > which is "not wool felt" may not expand as much as does "wool felt" thus
>  > > giving the Yamaha more stability in this area.

By "not wool felt" do you mean to say is a synthetic, or do you mean
it is *woven* wool felt, as opposed to merely *felted* wool.
If it is synthetic, do you know what kind?
I'm a bit surprised to see an Australian dissing wool products!!

Perhaps some of us are more sensitive to Yamaha uprights' lost motion
variation, due to the fact that Yamaha uprights are very sensitive to
having it properly adjusted. A tolerable amount of lost motion in an
older American full upright would cause "burbling hammers" in a
Yamaha (at least in my experience).
Happy New Year,
Patrick Draine
Billerica, MA
PS Our nomenclature isn't very impressive, is it? "Lost motion" --
what's the other extreme -- "found motion"? "Burbling" or "bubbling
hammers" don't sound right either!
PD