Temperament$

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 11:20:02 -0600

 (If you think there is a little glue left in the
>glue-tip, DO NOT try to blow it out!)

I've stopped myself JUST in time, a couple of times. Hey, that would be a
tip tech tip, wouldn't it? Maybe it would for someone who could say it
three times.

>>>I'd say the thing is that the "allthingsforallpeople" temperament is still
>under construction and consideration. <<
>   I can't disagree with this, but will submit that it is possible that the
>"allthingsforallpeople" temperament was a 20th century phenomenom/delusion. I
>don't think any ONE temperament will allow the piano to display all of its
>tonal resources.

I took the question to be "why don't you use this **particular**
temperament on all pianos ", since it produced a nice tip, not "why don't
you use one of many dozens of variations of non ET temperaments on all
pianos", which wouldn't have been much of a question anyway. My comment was
to indicate that such a thing as an allthingsforall... etc. is a pretty
ridiculous concept concerning temperaments, since it doesn't work in any
other subject you could name.

> (forgive me if I have stretched the analogies so thin that they are
>transparent, but overturning stones isn't as much fun as rolling them down
>the hill, and there are birds in the bushes that need a hand.....)

No problem here, I think it's fun. You do however, risk challenges from the
Keepers and Defenders of Analogies League and Garden Club.

PS: Sorry to hear of the demise of the pet beard, and the circumstances of
it's demise. Poor thing, trimmed under the influence after surviving all
those gravy spills. Fortunately, beards are self replenishing -
unfortunately, scotch is not.

Ron N