Tuner tunes

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 17:43:10 EST

> Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 19:26:44 -0500
> From: thepianoarts <thepianoarts@home.com>
> Subject: Re: Tuner tunes
>
>     If you would like to learn a subtle yet profound 'harmonic' (left
> hand...chords)  diatonic (meaning only using the seven tones in a Major
> scale) sequence, 'by ear', which also allows you to compose the melody, try
> the following:
>
> First...
> All chords are voiced with the 3rd. pulled out of the middle of the triad,
> and put on top.
>
> For example,  'C' on the bottom, then the 'G', and then the 'E'.  (If you
> can't reach the 'E' with your thumb, either play off the front ends of the
> key and catch the front edge, or, use the sustain pedal to carry the notes
> and play them arppeggiated.)
>
> Then...
> Once you learn to play the triad this way, all of the remaining chords use
> the same 'cookie cutter' hand position.
>
> Next...
> The sequence goes-up 4, then down 5, up 4, down 5...etc. etc.  This keeps
> the harmonic range contained.
>

> The sequence is as follows:
>
> 1-4-7-3-6-2-5-1
>
> i.e.,  C, then up (or down) to F...etc.
>
>     You will notice a vauge resemblence to several million pieces of music.
> Simple but profound...like gravity.  'Heart and Soul" for example, uses
> 1-6-2-5-1. In Bachs music, there is alot of  2-5-1.   5-1 is at the end of
> most every Hymn ever written.
>
>     If you will take the time to learn this sequence, you will train your
> ear to be aware of this common harmonic movement of..."up 4".
>
>     This harmonic sequence , although 'mathamatical' and limited to using
> the seven tones of a triditional Major scale, can bring a depth of insight
> into the meaning of this language called music. (I've had just one beer,
> honest.)
>
> Dan Reed
>
> Dallas Texas Chapter

Dear List,

Dan speaks the truth....the simple, unvarnished truth.  I am a music theory
teacher by trade, and would LOVE to have my students understand this as
clearly as Dan states it.  To go just one very small step further, we are
speaking here of "progression and retrogression" as two somewhat different
kinds of movement between chords (not an overall progression meaning harmonic
movement for an entire song).  The movement of chord roots (see Dan's
numbers) are usually considered progressive if they move down a 5th (up a
4th), down a 3rd (up a 6th) or up a 2nd (down a 7th).  There are certain
exceptions to this, but it's relatively unimportant..........and not
everything must be progression, the retrogression is simply a different,
well, flavor added to a musical phrase.

Very nice work, Dan, and a VERY cogent explanation!

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL
mailto:jstan40@aol.com