stringing supplies

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sun, 06 Feb 2000 19:11:48 -0500

Terry,
13 thru 20 including half sizes. I'm not fond of quarter pound coils but
if you are going to get into restringing, the one pound coils will be handy.

For a micrometer I prefer one of the spring-loaded, tension, thickness
gage variety because of the versatility and ease of use. I have a dial
gage as well but use the tension thickness gage predominantly
The dial gage is in my tool box for 'out of the shop' experiences.

The canisters available from APSCO helps to keep from handling the
wire rolls, also a suitable container in which to store them.

A tuning pin crank, a dummy pin cut off 1/4" below the becket hole.
Needle-nosed and round-nosed pliers for splicing. A stringing hook or
screw driver to hold up the coil while bringing to tension.

I'll stop here, others will fill in the blanks :-)

Jon Page

At 01:39 PM 02/06/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Could I get some tips/advice on what I should have in the way of a good basic
variety of piano wire? I have not yet replaced any strings, but I would
like to
be prepared to replace/splice any broken or missing strings I may encounter.
Also, I am told I will need something called a "micrometer", to measure the
string gauges. How many types of wire should I carry, or is there a
"universal"
type I can use for basic replacement? Thanks.