stringing supplies

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 09:11:15 EST

pianolover@worldspy.net writes:

<< Hi all,

 Could I get some tips/advice on what I should have in the way of a good
basic variety of piano wire? I have not yet replaced any strings, but I would
like to be prepared to replace/splice any broken or missing strings I may
encounter. Also, I am told I will need something called a "micrometer", to
measure the string gauges. How many types of wire should I carry, or is there
a "universal" type I can use for basic replacement? Thanks.

 Terry

>From any of the supply houses can be bought 1/3 lb. of 1/2 lb. coils of wire.
If you are going to be in the tuning business, servicing customers in their
homes, it would be advisable to get a complete set of these coils from size
12.5 to 21 or even 22. Also from the supply houses, you can buy a set of
universal bass strings, Although not for a permanent replacement on good
quality pianos, they are great for an emergency situation, or for low end
pianos.

A micrometer is a measuring tool to measure the thickness of piano wire. This
measurement, which will show up in thousands of an inch, needs to be
transposed to a piano wire size. The formula is complicated, and I am sure
someone will tell it to you. But I just copied the wire thickness, and the
equivalent wire size on a piece of paper, which I keep in my micrometer box.

Wim