key duplication - partial set

Mon, 28 Feb 2000 05:41:30 -0600

Mark,
At 22:53 02/27/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi List -

 What I
>saw was 10-12 keys, not consecutive, but all in the bass, that were going
>'every which way' but straight.  They were not a little crooked, some
>were not even able to ride on their own front pin and were pushing so
>hard on their neighbors that even keys a couple notes down were
>affected... kind of like a 10-car pile-up.

Could the event which precipitated this trainwreck have been simply that
somebody took out the keys (lost object/coin removal) and, not having
numbered them first, put them back in the wrong place?  At that point the
carving began to "make it work", since they didn't realise that a D is
different than a G or an A, etc.??   I assume you _did_ try to rescramble
them correctly (if they weren't so mangled that you couldn't identify them
as to species).

Was this Ellington a player? Baldwin 2nd line...?

Our Aussie friend is on the right track.  If my simplistic idea of
misreplaced keys is wrong (& how many simple answers are correct?), I feel
your pain.   The cost of any key duplication service, even if you do it
yourself, is greater that the value of that 70+ yr old upright, and the
owner should be made fully aware of that fact.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College			-(319)-387-1204
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.
---Wm. Shakespeare - Merchant of Venice