Dealer/Piano Owner Relationship

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 19:51:03 -0400

Hello List Friends. I find myself in a bit of a quandry. I recently was
contacted by a piano dealer in NY to tune a new Young Chang (Bergman - from
China) small (VERY) grand here in Florida. The new owner purchased it from
the dealer in NY just prior to moving down to Florida. The owner indicated
the piano was shipped to the NY dealer, uncrated (and presumably ??? some
prep work done on piano ????), and crated back up and shipped to Florida.

The piano was about 25 cents flat. Pitch raise and tune. Had to work out a
few REALLY bad false beats (seating strings etc.) and regulate a few jacks
(notes would not repeat on moderate/quick blow) and backchecks (hammer tails
dragging on backcheck on way to string).

Also noticed that numerous hammers are (filed???) not square at strike
point - they are sloped very noticeably to one side, in low tenor (for
example) most hammers are at slight angle on shank - then one will be
straight (like in hi treble) - then one in hi tenor, where most are pretty
straight, one will be at big angle. Some hammers rotated at odd angles.
There is no downbearing in top two octaves. A bunch of whippens are rubbing
on neighbors. Hammers need some traveling. Keys are not level. Keyframe is
not mated to keybed (big knock, knock, knock) And on, and on, and
on......... I'm sure many of you have seen this.

This guy bought the piano for his daughter who is 9 and has been playing for
3 years. He knows nothing about pianos. Maybe the manufacturing defects are
what he gets for buying a bottom line Young Chang. But this piano needs a
full regulation, and basic tone building (seat all strings, level strings,
shape hammers, etc.). I figure at least 8 - 12 hours of work, could use more
(weeks). It seems to me that the dealer should at least be willing (and
anxious!) to take care of the adjustment-type things - perhaps more.

I asked the owner to wait until the dealer pays me for my service call
before we talk to him about other work needed on the piano. How is this
usually handled. I have no experience with this type of situation. I look
forward to any and all input.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida