What kind of action

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 22:43:46 -0600

Dear List:  Today I looked at a Story and Clark vertical #190444 which
should place it around 1948.  Different action than I ever remember
seeing before.   I suppose you *could* call it a console as the action
certainly was compact when compared to an upright's.  There were two
things of interest that caught my eye.  First, the jacks did NOT operate
in a vertical manner.  Instead, they pushed the hammer butt along a
horizontal line.  The wippen was there, but mounted or rotated 90 degrees
to where I am used to seeing it - therefore the jack pushed along that
horizontal line.  Secondly, the backchecks were located above the hammers
and caught the hammer's tail as they would in a grand action except for
the fact that the hammers traveled as they do in any other vertical.
Who developed this action and what is it called???
I await your responses.

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!