Free estimates

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 09:11:10 EDT

cedel@supernet.com writes:

<< I usually tell clients that businesses which offer free estimates are
usually
 those which sell big ticket items, such as builders, but that I can't afford
 give a free estimate on what might be a relatively inexpensive job.  Do
those of
 you who rebuild pianos give free estimates?  I would consider that a bigger
job,
 but I would guess clients frequently abandon the idea of rebuilding when
they find
 out what it will cost. >>

There are two types of estimates.  One is where they just want to know what
it is going to cost to fix up the old piano. I get a lot of calls from
customers who want me to come to the house to see if the piano is worth
tuning, or if it can be tuned in the first place. I tell these customers it
will cost them a minimum service call to have me tell them that.  If they
don't understand why I have to charge them, I just say, thanks, but no
thanks, call someone else. If they do agree to pay for the estimate, then
I'll go. Sometimes I pick up a small repair job, or just a tuning. I tell
them up front that if the estiamte is $250 or more, I will give them credit
for the repairs if they decide to ahve me do the work.

The other group is where they have a piano that they know needs a lot of
work,     and the customer wants comparative bids. It makes sense that when
someone is going to spend $5,000 -- $20,000 to rebuild a piano, spending an
extra $50 -- $75 to get some good bids is going to be to their advantage.
These are the serious people I want to deal with, and I always give them
credit for the estimate when I get the work.

Willem