pressure bar powder

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Fri, 02 Jun 2000 11:55:06 -0700

What we have here is a case of old fashion ion oxidation.  Many cheep
pianos from the 60's and 70's, (particularly 70's), used cadium plated
screws.  Many other parts, however, were still nickel plated, (i.e.
pressure bar).  Thus the nickel metal and the cadium metal chemically
react with each other, (like NiCad batteries),  and you get a dull
greenish-yellow oxidation.  I have seen this on a lot of cheep spinets
too where they used cadium screws to hold nickel plated brackets in
place on the keys which hold the stickers.

Rob Goodale, PRT
Las Vegas, NV