pressure bar powder

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 19:29:59 -0300

Hi,
I always wondered what that was, but not enough to ask.
Now I know.
Thank you.
Regards,
John M. Ross
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Robert Goodale=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, June 02, 2000 3:55 PM
  Subject: Re: pressure bar powder

  What we have here is a case of old fashion ion oxidation.  Many cheep =
pianos from the 60's and 70's, (particularly 70's), used cadium plated =
screws.  Many other parts, however, were still nickel plated, (i.e. =
pressure bar).  Thus the nickel metal and the cadium metal chemically =
react with each other, (like NiCad batteries),  and you get a dull =
greenish-yellow oxidation.  I have seen this on a lot of cheep spinets =
too where they used cadium screws to hold nickel plated brackets in =
place on the keys which hold the stickers.=20
   =20
  Rob Goodale, PRT=20
  Las Vegas, NV=20
   =20

  Doug Garman wrote:=20

    From time to time I open an upright and find the pressure bar and =
screws coated with a light yellow-green powder.  What is this?  =
Oxidation?  How should I clean this off, or should I?  Saw one yesterday =
on a Wurlitzer spinet (2-pedal). Thanks --- Doug Garman  :o) =20