Plate Bushings - was Re: Bushing vs. bigger pin?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 22:49:26 -0400

Jim wrote:

>"The sound board still has gracious plenty crown throughout the scale and
does not touch the outer rim anywhere."

Just a question regarding piano design/construction. I thought a soundboard
should idealy be fit snug to the outer rim.  Are not Steinways built like
that? How else can the "sound be reflected back into the soundboard" if the
soundboard is not snug against the outer rim? Do you think that in cases
where there is a gap between the soundboard edge and outer rim, the gad
should be filled? Just curious. I hear of this "sound reflected back" thing
and wonder if some of that may be just bunk. Thanks for any thoughts.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com