Plate Bushings - was Re: Bushing vs. bigger pin?

Sat, 3 Jun 2000 09:12:27 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 02, 2000 11:45 AM
Subject: Re: Plate Bushings - was Re: Bushing vs. bigger pin?

> The thicker the laminations, the less crush resistance, but the more
spring
> back resilience. I would think crush resistance would be more desirable
> where plate bushings are absent, making it less likely that the pin ever
> contacts the plate. Appropriately sized plate holes and some attention to
> centering during drilling couldn't hurt either.

Ron, Jim, et al,

Based on some experience I had back in the 80s designing new pinblocks it is
my belief that lamination of between 1.0 and 1.5 mm worked very well.

My best results -- at the time -- were obtained with a block that ended up
approximately 38 mm (1.5") thick.  The lower (away from the plate's tuning
pin panel) 23 mm (+/-) was made up of 15 1.5 mm rotary cut maple veneers
with the upper 15 mm (+/-) being made up of 1.0 mm rotary cut maple veneers.
Actually there were only 13 plies in the upper portion.  The remaining 2.5
mm was made up of the glue lines at approximately 0.1 mm (0.004") each.

Since this still remains one of my favorite pinblocks we'll be looking into
ways of making them ourselves again Real Soon Now.

Del