Bending rims... Jim B. (long)

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:39:45 EDT

In a message dated 6/05/2000 11:36:16 AM, Brian T. wrote:

<<"wwwaaaaayyyyyy back in

maybe the third thread back or so from this one, who said something about

using thick, maybe 1/4" laminations to make a piano rim.">>

Brian;
 I think I will have to take the blame for that.. I was discussing the 1/4"
oak laminations on this Knabe grand that I am working on.

 As for being confused...well that makes you absolutely normal. :-)

As to what a press is......well I suppose it is a matter of semantics... and
although I view a "press" as a unitary single object... a case has been made
for viewing a collection of diseparate parts as making a press.  Anyway S&S
does have a good site that does not get into the technical
discussions....cause they want to sell pianos, not teach their customers how
to build a Steinway? :-)

<<"On the occasions

I've tried to bend wood in curves as tight as a piano rim and that thick,

most of the time, they end up breaking someplace.  So I was thinking about

how one would accomplish using thicker laminations and was thinking about my

little soundboard project strip of wood thingy">>

 Well this was a part of my original question, i.e.; how did they bend those
thick oak veneers? Heat? Steam?   You told us about using heat, so that will
work, and I can bend quite thick oak 1" X 1" into walking sticks by using
steam but a stick is a long way from a piano rim :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)