center pins

Jonathan Adams jmadams@telusplanet.net
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 20:55:01 -0600

List,

Last year I bought a kit full of used tools, supplies, etc.  Inside was a
container full of unusual centerpins...blunt at both ends and different
lengths (I checked the ends, they are new and have never been cut).  The
pins are silver in color and have little corrosion spots on most of them.
The container is marked "Steinway Pins."  In the same container is a supply
of Teflon bushings.

Will these pins be of use to me at some point?  Are these those plated pins
that I have heard about?  Do the "Teflon" Steinways require special pins or
would any pin work OK  for them?   I would be reluctant to use them because
of the spots on them and my first inclination was to throw them away.
However, I have this nagging feeling that there may be some special
Steinway use for them that I am unaware of.

Thanks,

Stacy Adams
PTG Associate