An education in stability

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed, 07 Jun 2000 07:07:28 +0000

David,
     Why can't they just leave a permanent piano in the pit?  University
Events has an ugly old 60s blonde Baldwin Hamilton bought from Music for
$300.  This trusty piano never goes out of tune and sounds pretty good.
      One day it was dropped 5' or so into the pit.  The events guys were
sliding it on its' back on the edge of the stage to lower it into the pit
with two guys below and two above.  The above guys had to either lose
their fingers or let go pulling them out which they did.  The two lower
guys couldn't hold it.  When I was called in, I found the rear casters
shattered with pits in the concrete where they landed.  A pedal rod was
knocked out of place and holding the dampers off the strings.  AMAZINGLY,
THE PIANO WAS STILL IN GOOD TUNE!!!
-Mike Jorgensen