Maximum tension

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 09:03:02 EDT

In a message dated 6/07/2000 7:50:45 AM, Paul wrote:

<<"Also, I have a client with a Knabe grand

that shows a long history of string breakage, twice for me, randomly across

the scale. This grand has the steep shelf  in front of the agraffs to the

tuning pins.">>

Paul;
 I have one of these "steep shelf" Knabe thingees in process right now.  I
don't know the string breakage history on it but I do have a couple of
questions.
  On your customers Knabe was there a brass, or steel, counter bearing bar
right at the point where the strings nose dive down to the agraffes? Also in
the upper tenor section, between capo and tuning pins, was there a counter
bearing bar?
  There is a secondary bar, felt covered, right in front of the pins but
where I am speaking of is right where the strings dip down from the plate web
to either capo or agraffe.

  Reason I'm asking is the Knabe I am working on has a counter bearing bar in
the treble but there were none in the upper tenor section(to capo) or the
tenor section(to agraffes).   There are what appears to me to be the marks
left by a bearing bar but as this piano has already been restrung once I
don't know what was there. I have milled two bearing bars to fit in these
sections but thought I would ask if you, or anyone else, can recall whether
there were any actually there.
 Thanks.
 Jim Bryant (FL)