Unequal Temperaments

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 13:34:30 EDT

Keith writes:
<< I
have some charts which show cents deviation from equal temperament. My
question is, can I simply add or subtract these numbers up and down the
complete 88-note scale or do the cents deviations change as the octaves are
stretched?  >>

Greetings,
The cents deviations will not change over the scale.  If the numbers in your
machine are already such that the octaves are stretched to your taste,
adding cents to them will not change your octaves.
    The easiest way to use the SAT I for this is to use your pitch change
buttons to add a value, such as 0 for the A, or maybe 4 cents for the F, -3
cents for the E, or whatever your new temperament calls for, and then, tune
all the A's, in one pass, then  all the F's at once and so on.  For safety,
zero your machine between each setting so that there is no cumulative
addition or subtraction of your cents deviation.
    You may find that doing the most altered notes first to be beneficial,
as they may affect the soundboard like a small pitch raise.  You may need to
particularly if you will be trying the meantones with their more drastic
departures from ET.
  Good luck, and remember,  judge your result with music, not 20th century
techniqes or expectations.  I think you will like not only the tonal palette
that occurs with the unequal tunings, but also,  the freedome from the
unrelenting beating of all the thirds.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT