unhappy customer

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Fri, 09 Jun 2000 00:11:43 +0000

Hi Doug,

my teacher Ken Serviss is an absolute expert on shaping and voicing etc.
Once he gave me the advice never to do anything like this without approval
or request.  Be especially careful with voicing since that taste of tone is
so individual to each and every one.

He once tuned a piano that had  thoroughly putrid tone, so hard his ears
couldnīt handle it.  He thought to himself that heīd do a little good and
voice the wretched thing.  Well he did.  It sounded a lot better but the
day after, the husband (that he never met) called him, and said he had
totally destroyed the beautiful tone of the piano.  Well, turned out he was
very hard of hearing!
Also be careful not to soften up the tone too much on these little
spinets.  They have a little and thin tone that canīt afford to be softened
up much without making them sound very dull.  Thereīs not a "great" chance
that youīll get a thing like this to sing like a Steinway.

Regards,

Kristinn