Lock N' Stich

Richard Oliver Snelson rsnelson@dave-world.net
Thu, 08 Jun 2000 21:22:00 -0500

Dave, The Lock-N-Stitch starter kit will cost you around $350. This is
only my experience, but here it is! I do not trust the Lock-N-Stitch
pins to hold in piano cast by them self. The technique to install them
takes practice and it's very easy to cross tap a hole and ruin it for
the locking pin. As of this time I've driven over a hundred of the pins
so I do have some experience with them.  The last repair that I did  on
a Balwin L was completed first using Lock-N-Stitch pins then a steel
plate was attached across the break also using the pins. This allows you
to attach the plate with nothing showing "bolt" etc. Then the plate was
welded top and bottom in a horz. direction on both sides of the crack.
The welding was done with some tension on the strings. Only the dampers
were removed, and about 8 strings on either side of the strut.

A thin steel plate was under the strut, special fiber cloth to protect
from the welding. After welding the piano was tuned to A-440 and is
holding just fine. I finished the strut with auto bondo and it's very
hard to tell the repair is there. Looks like a part of the casting.

I have digital camera photos of the whole process and plan  to write up
the process.

I would be glad to look at a sketch of where the break is and make
recommendations as to how the repair might be done. The nice thing about
this repair is you can test it right away with out replacing the plate
and restring etc. Would I do it in someones home? No way, not with the
welding.

First, find out why the crack occurred. Fix that. Then fix the break. If
the crack itself has previously been welded.. Forget Lock-N-Stitch. You
ruin the specials drills, special spot facer and the very special tap
for the pins.

Would be glad to help with your problem. Call if you like.
217-935-4215  Rich