Lock N' Stich

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 08 Jun 2000 20:55:43 -0700

I have used the Lock N' Stitch method and had very good results. The piano has
been up to pitch for a year now and no sign of trouble.  You can contact the
company directly via their web page at:

http://www.locknstitch.com/

I noticed someone posted that a starter kit cost $350.00.  Not so.  You do not
need a huge jumbo set of doodads that you will never use.  There are only a few
specific types required for most piano plate repairs.  At the moment I'm not sure
which kit I have, (it is currently in the shop), but I will post the kit number
when I get a chance.  I think I paid around $80.00 and only used a few pieces.  I
could probably repair another twenty pianos with what I have.  You do, however,
need the specialized bits and countersink that comes with it.  Several
technicians have dealt with Lock N' Stitch now so they are aware of our specific
needs.  When you call tell them you are a piano tech and they will know exactly
how to set you up.  They will also be happy to provide you with technical support
if you get stuck.

At one point the inventor of the system gave a demonstration repairing a crack at
a Chapter meeting, (I think Northern Nevada, I'm not sure).  I first learned
about the system from someone who was there.  Using the system is actually quite
easy and even a little fun.  When you receive the kit it will include a video to
give you an overview as well as instructions.  The time involved will vary
depending on the crack.  For a basic crack, (say an inch long across a strut),
perhaps four hours would be a good figure by the time you finish all the grinding
and smoothing, touch up the paint, and then reinstall any surrounding strings
that had to be removed for the job.

Best of luck!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV