ETD Question

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 08:27:37 EDT

Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

<< Kawaii grand GS-70 # 1647934... rather harsh sounding really,, Cyber Ear
 gets like totally confused with this thing. For the first.. It wont read A5
 at all. Just get this message saying "that note was not in the normal range
 for a piano...etc". Secondly the curve it generates for this piano (no
 matter how many different samples of A's I give it) always ends up with G1
 and G#1 being like waaaayyyyyy sharp, unbelievably sharp really. Thirdly
 the curve in the treble tappers off quickly to being way to flat.

 I have tried several different tuning partials.. and just about every thing
 I can think of but the same kinda thing happens every time. Anyone have any
 ideas as to what can be the cause of this ??

 --
 Richard Brekne
 Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.

Several posts ago I think it was Carol Beigel who said something to the
effect that she has almost lost the ability to tune by ear because she uses
her ETD so much (If I am wrong, Carol, I apologize). But I have heard this
about other tuners who use an ETD.  I am not trying to be a smart allec (sp)
with this, and Richard does ask a legitimate question, but my point here is
that I don't know if my machine has problems like this, because I don't rely
on it that much to get me in trouble.

When ETD's first came on the market, one fear was that the industry would
attract "tone deaf" tuners. Now that ETD's are accepted, it appears that
legitimate tuners are becoming "tone deaf."

For all you ETD tuners, at least once a week, tune a piano without it. Or at
best, do like I do. Tune all the middle strings, and then turn the thing off,
and tune the rest of the piano by ear.

Willem