unhappy customer follow-up

Doug Garman dgarman@granbury.com
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 12:56:35 -0500

To All Who Responded --

    The customer (wife) did came to the house yesterday.  I made out a =
new bill for the approved quoted fee (extra time and voicing shown as =
"free"), and she made out a new check.  Little discussion and lots of =
smiles and pleasantries.
    Thanks for the honest, yet supportive responses.  My own wife was =
not so understanding.  She wanted me to go back and harden the hammers.  =
LOL
Roger... you're right.  Voicing is very subjective, and I only assumed I =
knew their economic condition (both working, nice home with view, Town =
Car and Infinity in the drive, kids gone).
Marvin... her husband even told me later that it would probably take a =
trained ear (not his wife's) to hear the difference.  Lance... I've used =
your "Psych 101" approach to pitch raises before.  Thanks for the light =
voicing suggestions.
Kristinn... I had heard of a similar "deaf customer story" before.  =
Yeah, I still haven't done enough voicing to know exactly what I'm doing =
or what I can expect out of various pianos, especially ones as =
light-weight as this one.
John... thanks.  The letter of appology is in progress in the word =
processor.
Jim... the husband used that very same analogy, but it's not like I was =
charging for polishing the piano.  I really was trying to give them a =
better sounding experience (I know ... subjective).
Patrick... I have had that suggested to me before.  Though I see it as a =
good idea which if put into practice would cover me for that 2-hour =
service call, I will either have to raise my fee for that call or be =
happy with less than my usual hourly rate.  Yes?
David... getting the customer to leave payment if they must be away when =
I'm finished is good.  And if I run into a snag after they are gone =
(broken string, part,etc.) ... ?
Brian... I will probably make some coupon offer in my letter to them.
Bob... "a slightly more thorough discussion on the phone, to get a start =
on realistic expectations (and some price flexibility) even before you =
arrive" only sounds logical and smart.  Thanks.  Yeah, that might be the =
most valuable 0.4 hrs. voicing I've done to date.  LOL
Willem... that ruler across the knuckles really smarts.  My mother =
warned me there would be teachers like you.  :-)

Thanks, again, for all the lessons and support.  Now, if you will excuse =
me I'm going to sit down to a nice movie and a slice of humble pie (or =
maybe a bowl of "M&M's" and a tall glass of milk).  :o)

Doug Garman